For many women, the days close to menstruation are a major disruption in their daily lives. This is known as premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Abdominal pain and bloating are the most common complaints. Although there are drugs to alleviate these discomforts, there are several foods that can help us make it more bearable.
Ideal diet during menstruation
- Drinking lots of water and following a low-salt diet helps with fluid retention, thus reducing bloating and constipation.
- Oily fish, nuts and vegetable oils will be good allies on those days as they contain fatty acids such as Omega-3 and Omega-6 that will help us feel better.
- Eating legumes, meats and cereals will provide us with part of the iron that we lose with our periods and will prevent us from feeling tired and sluggish. We can accompany these foods with a vitamin complex rich in this element.
- Fruit will also be essential to feel better. Pineapple works as a diuretic, decreasing fluid retention, and bananas, rich in potassium, will make it easier for us to go through premenstrual syndrome.
- Foods that contain vitamin B6 such as eggs, dairy products and vegetables will be essential to regulate our hormone levels.
- Alcohol and coffee are not recommended as they will worsen the symptoms. Likewise, junk food and refined fats are also foods to avoid. Although they are elements that we should eliminate from our daily diet, even more so these days.
- In addition to carrying out these eating habits, it is convenient to practice some exercise and not lead a sedentary lifestyle. This will make us feel stronger and our mood will also be positively affected.