Food is one of the fundamental pillars in all aspects of our lives. It affects our physical and psychological state and eating a healthy diet can prevent numerous diseases or reduce their symptoms and help their recovery.
During the menstrual phase, a proper diet will also help us feel better, reduce Premenstrual Syndrome and even regulate our rules.
Recommended foods during menstruation
- Carbohydrates: Foods such as rice, pasta and legumes are related to the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that causes happiness and good humor.
- Nuts and fresh vegetables are a source of Vitamin E, beneficial for pain and breast swelling typical of Premenstrual Syndrome.
- Evening primrose oil favors the production of prostaglandins E1, which reduce inflammation and menstrual pain, as it is anti-inflammatory.
- Foods rich in Vitamin B6 such as whole grains and nuts also help the production of prostaglandins E1, and in addition, consuming this vitamin together with foods rich in magnesium reduces anxiety and irritability, a very common symptom among women during their period. menstrual.
- Whole grains, meat, seafood, and dairy products contain magnesium, which is essential for reducing pain by relaxing the muscles of the uterus during menstruation.
- Calcium and Vitamin D: Dairy products, fish and egg yolks contain these elements. Including us in our diet will favor us when it comes to reducing annoying premenstrual symptoms.
- Most vegetables contain potassium, essential to eliminate excess sodium from our body, which will help us combat fluid retention, swelling and weight gain.