It is easy to draw conclusions when you realize that your period is late, but why does the period stop? Undoubtedly, they can be moments of confusion when you don’t know what exactly is happening for that to happen to you. But it can also happen that in the middle of a period it suddenly stops or that it doesn’t go down for several months… We solve your doubts about menstruation.
Causes of the period suddenly cutting off
- The pregnancy. In this case, it is not that your period stops in the middle of the cycle, it is that you will not have it in the nine months that the gestation period lasts. If your period does not come down and you have had unprotected sex, then it is more than likely that you are pregnant. You may experience breast swelling and tenderness or other typical pregnancy symptoms. Do not hesitate to take a pregnancy test and go to your gynecologist.
- Stress is unpleasant for anyone who suffers from it since, in addition to physical and emotional effects, it can be very exhausting. This will cause your body to produce too much adrenaline, caused by the stress hormone cortisol. High levels force the brain to decide which bodily functions are essential and which are not until after the stressful event is over. For example, the body may decide to send blood to the muscles and lungs to increase oxygen so that it can “fight or flight” in a pinch, so in other parts of the body the reproductive system may run out of blood. This will cause the rule to be cut or delayed.
- For a disease. Think about the time you should ovulate. If you were sick even due to a simple cold -or something more serious- ovulation may be delayed or even not at all.
- Lose weight. Your weight can affect your hypothalamus, a gland in the brain that is responsible for regulating various processes in the body, including the menstrual cycle. Extreme weight loss can cause the body to not release enough estrogen to build the lining of the uterus. The same goes for eating disorders.
- Gain weight. Being overweight or gaining a lot of kilos in a short time can also cause disorders, which will cause the body to produce excess estrogen. The overload can also cause menstrual irregularities.
- Excessive exercise. Exercise is always good for the body, but when you practice too much, you can have irregularities in your menstrual cycle and it might even disappear. However, this does not mean that we do not have to be in shape these days as well, since it can help us reduce menstrual pain.