Menstruation is part of our life. It is something that we learn to live with over the years, but that does not mean that there are moments in which we wish with all our might that it does not lower us. Surely you have found yourself preparing a romantic weekend or a few days at the beach more than once and, suddenly, wham! Your period has dropped. Or that important event in which you thought that your period was going to give you a break or that it was going to come early… Boom! The period arrives and you cannot do anything to avoid it.
In those moments, we would like to intercede in our menstrual cycle and adapt it to the calendar so that it suits us better, right? Relax, it’s normal. All women throughout our lives have wanted at some point to modify these days and move them at will.
Is this possible to do? Before telling you some tricks or guidelines to cut your period instantly without harming your health, you should know that intervening in this natural process is not recommended. If you decide to do it, let it be in exceptional cases since modifying the menstrual cycle will greatly affect your body. So think twice when doing it and do it at very specific moments.
Methods to cut the rule immediately
Cold to stop menstruation
Cold is a vasoconstrictor, that is, it favors the narrowing of blood vessels. This means that when you apply a little bit of cold, the vessels can contract and it could even stop the bleeding of the period. Wash well with cold water and you will be able to stop the menstruation, but not permanently.
Ibuprofen to cut the rule
It seems incredible because you may have taken it more than once when your period came down, but ibuprofen is an option that can help you control it. However, we must not forget that it is a medicine and that we cannot take it in an uncontrolled way or for no apparent reason.
Do infusions or citrus fruits work to stop the period?
There are many myths about how you can modify your period with herbal teas or citrus fruits, but the truth is that their effectiveness is very relative. In this case, what you can achieve with these natural treatments to stop your period is to reduce the amount of flow or stop the blood very temporarily.
These are some of the home remedies that you can use, remember that always at your own risk:
- Lemon juice: with the help of a juicer, take the set of 4 lemons into a glass and drink it in small sips without straining it. If you see that it is too acidic, do not add sugar or another sweetener as this could reduce the effectiveness of its properties. What you can do is mix it with a little water so that the resulting mixture is more diluted. This remedy may decrease your menstrual bleeding, but ideally you should take it a few days before your period starts, as it is sometimes useful to delay it a bit.
- Infusion of thyme: in a glass of boiling water, add 50 grams of thyme. Let stand 10 minutes, strain the mixture and then drink it.
- Cinnamon infusion: heat water in a saucepan and when it comes to a boil add a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon powder. You can drink a couple of glasses a day, one in the morning and one at night.
- Licorice infusion: cook a liter of water and, when it starts to boil, add 20 grams of dried licorice root. Let it rest for 10 minutes, strain it and that’s it! Drink it little by little.
You already know that there are two types of birth control pills. On the one hand, there are those that contain a placebo of another color for the days of menstruation, and those that directly have a week off. If you find yourself in the first case, what you should do is take the normal ones directly and, when you get to the colored ones, start with another one from a new month. But watch out! You should not do this out of habit.
Are you in the second case? So when the rest week comes, you must directly start another new month. In this way you will have the absolute certainty of modifying the date on which your period must come down.
Can menstruation really stop?
At the end of each woman’s menstrual cycle, estrogen and progesterone levels drop, and this drop causes the lining of the uterus to flake off, leading to menstrual bleeding.
Once this flaking and bleeding occur, it is NO longer possible to stop the period, at best you can reduce the bleeding or stop it momentarily with one of the remedies that we have told you about previously. What you can do is try to delay it a few days with the information that we are going to tell you below.
Ways to delay the period a few days
The IUD with hormones to delay the rule
The hormonal IUD, such as the Mirena IUD, for example, contains levonorgestrel, a component similar to progesterone that the ovary manufactures in order to prevent pregnancy and whose side effects are, in many cases, the cessation of menstrual bleeding. That is, if you start using this type of contraceptive, it is very likely that your period will not go down for several months or indefinitely.
Like the IUD, the hormone injection is a type of birth control that also contains progesterone. It is administered every 3 months and inhibits ovulation, preventing pregnancy and decreasing the amount of menstrual bleeding or directly preventing menstruation.
Primosiston, a pill to stop or delay menstruation?
Primosiston is a medication that is used to treat severe uterine bleeding, but (ALWAYS under medical prescription) it can also be used to delay menstruation for a few days as it keeps progesterone and estrogen levels high, preventing ovulation.
In addition to all these methods, as we have discussed in the previous section, the contraceptive pill can also help you delay your period, but you should not take it as a habit or else you will end up harming your health.
Can the rule be cut forever?
Yes, you can, but the gynecologist only resorts to these options in the event that the woman is diagnosed with a serious illness that requires surgery or in the event that the woman no longer wants to have more children.
It is a surgery in which the uterus is removed causing the woman to never have her period again or to become pregnant. It is only practiced in serious situations since it is a definitive operation that cannot be reversed, such as in cases of uterine or cervical cancer.
Endometrial ablation is a technique that is practiced in women with very heavy periods with large blood losses and, once it is performed, the amount of menstrual blood decreases or disappears. This technique should be very well consulted with the doctor since it also considerably reduces the chances of pregnancy in women.
The health risks of cutting your period immediately, is it safe?
- As commented in the doctoral thesis of Almudena Ramírez Balas (“Effects of the phases of the menstrual cycle on the physical condition, physiological and psychological parameters in moderately trained young women” for the University of Extremadura), “the female reproductive cycle is one of the most important biological rhythms, perhaps second only to the circadian rhythm.” According to the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG, 2006) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (2006), the menstrual cycle should be considered a vital sign, almost as important as pulse, respiration, or blood pressure.
- For this reason, and as you can imagine, it is not recommended or healthy to cut or alter menstruation. There are very, very specific cases in which a gynecologist or specialist can advise stopping menstruation for a while due to a health problem such as anemia, endometriosis or uterine fibroids in which blood loss is harmful to the body, but, in any case, in these cases, it will be the professional who best indicates the most appropriate way to stop menstruation until the disease is controlled and blood loss does not pose any risk.
- Before you get ready to carry out any method to stop your period, we suggest you think about it: is it really worth breaking your period to have relationships or to go to the beach, putting your health at risk with it?
- Now you know how to stop your period quickly or how to make menstruation last less or delay it and reduce bleeding, but we remind you that before applying any of these tricks, you should think and reconsider that the period is a natural process with which you must learn to live Currently there are products that allow you to lead a normal life even if you have your period, such as the wonderful menstrual cup, so you can really go to the beach, go to that appointment, that event, that trip or even have sex without the need to cut it Modifying your menstrual cycle will help you once, but if you learn to menstruate naturally it will not upset any plan for the rest of your life.