The first thing you think about when your period doesn’t come down for a month is that you must be pregnant, but what if you get a negative pregnancy test? What if you haven’t had sex and it’s totally impossible that you could have gotten pregnant? Then there may be other reasons why your period has not come down and you have a delay of a month in which no type of clot or period appears.
What does it mean that you are a month late in your period?
- There are many women who have ovulation problems and also infertility problems. It is possible that in a month your period will not come down because you simply have not ovulated, that is, you have not released a mature egg, this is called anovulation. Anovulation can be caused by polycystic ovary syndrome, thyroid problems, stress, or anxiety.
- Stress and anxiety. Stress or anxiety can cause serious problems in your body (in your physical and emotional health), such as a reduction in your immune response, something that affects your cardiovascular health. Stress and anxiety can make your period go away because of the hormonal imbalance it causes and because stress interferes with the normal functioning of the hypothalamus in the brain.
- Weight problems. If you have lost or gained weight drastically in a short time, it may also be a reason for your period to be delayed by a month or even more. When you gain or lose weight too quickly, there may be a hormonal imbalance that will cause the release of the ovum not to be as usual and cut your period.
- Excessive sport. Playing sports is fine, but everything in moderation. It takes discipline to have good workouts but you also have to know how much time and effort should be put in. Exercising too much can put stress on your body and you may not get your period because nature thinks you have no place to get pregnant.
- There are some drugs that can alter menstrual cycles such as chemotherapy drugs, antidepressants, antipsychotics… they can make your periods disappear for months because they cause chemical reactions within the body.